Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Day the Music Died Goes Gold

50 years ago today the music world lost three incredibly influential and important entertainers. It's amazing how in their short careers, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" managed to shape the music industry as we know it today. Listening to 101.1 WCBS-FM, my favorite radio station since the age of 6, I learned a few new facts that I never knew about:
  • Buddy Holly was my age now, 23, when he passed away.
  • Holly heavily influenced The Beatles.
  • Richie Valens didn't speak Spanish. When recorded "La Bamba", his brother whispered the words to him.
  • Valens was 17 when the plane crashed.
  • "The Big Bopper's" real name was Jiles Perry Richardson, Jr. He came up with the name for his a radio show after seeing college students perform a new dance called "The Bop".
Thanks to the magic of YouTube, I was able to find videos of each of these young talented men. Enjoy!

My favorite Buddy Holly Song:


"Chantille Lace" - Sure to put a smile on your face:


I couldn't find a live video of "La Bamba", but check Richie Valens out. FYI: He also sang "Oh Donna" and "Come On Let's Go".

No comments:

Post a Comment